Tuesday, December 02, 2008

This is Nikki Prestidge. First let me apologize for the blog name “KyleandNikki”. I entered the sight under an old blog name.

Why is politics important? I love this question now because I have an answer for it! Two months ago I may have said, “Politics is something I try to avoid, therefore it is unimportant to me.” Today however, I recognize it is important to understand politics because politics exists around all of us whether we want it to or not. By acknowledging politics exist around us, we are given the option to avoid politics, or understand politics. I personally like to have a better understanding of the circumstances which exist around me and influence me each day. By increasing our understanding of politics we are able to gain a wider picture of others around us, our interactions with others and “the way things are”. In understanding these things we are able to identify political dilemmas which we face and begin generating ideas of how we may respond to them. This is a much healthier approach to politics, as opposed to doing nothing or responding in the moment (which we may regret later). Understanding politics increases our objectivity toward our circumstances. Then we may be proactive in determining how to respond to circumstances and people.

Understanding politics is valuable because politics have the power to make us or break us. Politics has this power because we allow it to by not acknowledging or understanding it. Politics have a genuine affect on people. Choosing to understand the politics at work around us is valuable because it helps us in gaining control of a situation that may be out of control. Once we are able to think through our dilemmas and create an outcome we are able to influence those around us, our daily work environments, our career path and the emotional burdens some of us carry home each day. Because politics have such a large impact on our work environment and even our personal lives understanding them could not be more important and valuable.

As stated before, politics exist around us and influence us regardless of our approach to the subject. Understanding politics is important and valuable because it changes our role from the influncee to the influencer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent post Nikki. It maybe difficult to fully grapse or understand all the political and emotional underpinnings in your organization, but once you do know and understand your environment, this 'ah ha' moment will lead to more of a sense of control and understanding within yourself. Knowing the environment around you will help you make more informed decisions and decrease any sort of 'blindsighted' instances in the work environment. Great post!

10:57 PM  
Blogger Shayna Kristine said...

Nikki- no worries on the screen name! :)

I think you really hit it on the head when you said:
"In understanding these things we are able to identify political dilemmas which we face and begin generating ideas of how we may respond to them. This is a much healthier approach to politics, as opposed to doing nothing or responding in the moment (which we may regret later)."

Part of what I think a lot of us find so frustrating is that we can often shoot ourselves in the foot without even realizing it. Expanding our knowledge about politics helps us to be prepared for every and all situations. And I love that you acknowledge that politics are all around us and need to be dealt with rather than ignored!

Good job! Seems like you have learned a lot! Although, I think we all have!

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Post Niki! I also HEART the blog name...so cute.
Anywho, I like how you opened your post by writing about the way you used to understand politics and how the class has given you tools.
I feel more confident now that I have tools but I still feel like there is a lot more to learn. I definitely don't consider myself a "political animal" yet.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home